Construction will continue through the spring of 2017. During that time, trains will begin running but will not be open to passenger service. Passenger service is expected by March 2018.
Light rail service to Mecklenburg County began in November 2007, when the Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) opened the LYNX Blue Line from I-485 at South Boulevard (Pineville city limits) to Seventh Street in Uptown Charlotte.
UNC Charlotte coverage of the Blue Line Extension
- Foxx kicks off tour of light rail extension at campus station
- Pedestrian bridge near campus unique along light rail line
- New website provides info in advance of light rail's arrival
- Coordinating committee prepares for arrival of light rail
- Light rail burrows underground, onto campus
- Girders set on campus light rail bridge
- Light rail on its way to UNC Charlotte
- Light rail preparation begins on campus
- Officials break ground on light rail to campus
- Light rail to UNC Charlotte gets funding