The LYNX Blue Line is the Charlotte region's first light rail service; it opened in 2007. When the extension is completed, the line will operate along 18.6 miles, from I-485 at South Boulevard to the UNC Charlotte campus. With 26 stations, including seven park-and-ride locations, the LYNX Blue Line provides a congestion free commute with a consistent travel time.
Practical benefits of using light rail include:
- Affordable alternative to driving and parking on and off campus
- Relief from congested traffic
- Consistent travel time
- Environmentally clean, affordable transportation
- Close proximity to arenas, clubs, museums and employment centers
- Increased economic development and property values
LYNX operates seven days a week. Weekday service is from 5:26 AM to 1:26 AM. Service is available every 10 minutes during weekday rush hour and every 15 minutes during non-peak hours. Weekend service operates every 20 minutes during the day and every 30 minutes during late night hours.
Level of service and service hours for the Blue Line Extension are still being finalized.